Thursday, March 29, 2012

volunteer







we get up early because we live thirty minutes away. the lighting up of the new morning sky and the freshness of the day awakens my soul. brother, sister and i all ride together to each one's work.

the phone rings. does it ever stop? the secretary doesn't think so as a sigh escapes her lips. she answers with friendliness like no other anyway... "hello, thank you for calling the Lads to Leaders office, how can i help you?" my fingers have rubbed from the name tag after name tag i've clipped with lanyard and checked off the list. soon that job is all done but there's more to do. office supplies to pack, new group door prizes to collect, name tags to be put in bags then boxes and taped up tight to bring to the outside trailer. we are preparing for six different national youth leadership conventions, one of which i am a part. thousands will be in attendance at each. i am here today to volunteer. i see my mentor, my hero, who is the founder of this organization. my brother calls him sweetoldman.com which is seen by his interaction with others and the {awkward} way he holds my hand in the picture he requests. he has given so much...


i realize as one list is checked, one program is packed, one name badge is assembled at a time...boy, volunteering feels good. {and you just might even get a cookie or two}



give + aways

12 comments:

Elisha said...

your writing is just AMAZING. truly.

Marli said...

love, love, love, love this!! you are an amazing volunteerer. ;D love.

xo
purposelyathome.blogspot.com

Emma Frances said...

Volunteering really does bring such a wonderful feeling! :] I love it! And I love how you describe it. As always, you are so skilled with your words!!

Go Bold said...

cool! volenteering does give me a good feeling afterwards.

Jan said...

You just gave me an idea to volunteer for my birthday! :)

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

jessica said...

such a sweet post! glad you are loving volunteering! its so rewarding! :)

Monica and Whitney said...

Just found your blog and I'm totally loving it!

Ask the Duplex

Unknown said...

you go girl!!! what a beautifully written post!!! xo

Lauren Vanderberg said...

memory, i love volunteering as well. it does feel so good!

Ashley Eliza said...

thats so awesome that you volunteer memory! you are so dang cute and awesome, and your writing is beautiful!

xoxo

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I love your writing Memory.

Claire said...

i used to volunteer but havent for a few years now. Ive been thinking of getting back into it, you're right, it feels great!