Tuesday, February 18, 2014

ragged life


 there's a small patch of carpet in our house that is different from all the rest. its colors of gold, black, brown and a tinge of red show its age. it has stains and spots, ragged and old with time. yet each time i run my vacuum over this spot, I can't help but smile. the small paint splatters here and there cause me to reflect on when we were painting this house together. not married yet, excitement for our soon-to-be life together had built up to the roof. I remember sitting on that very patch of floor together. as we laughed and grinned while painting, I remember feeling absolutely giddy in my heart. a joke was made that we should just stay there at our new home together for our honeymoon instead of going to the mountains. these were made in only half jest. we just felt so happy there together. we didn't have one care in the world sitting there on that ragged carpet. all we had on our minds was a happy, care-free future together. 

 now married, that carpet has served to remind me that marriage and life in general is dirty, stained with scars and not perfect. sometimes you feel ragged out just like that carpet. but time and again i've been shown that if you keep pressing on, you'll look back on those "spots" as sacred. God has been and will be there through your marriage and so will your best friend, your spouse. laugh, cry and get paint on the floor. you'll never forget the memories made together.

7 comments:

his little lady said...

I love how even small little paint splatters can bring about such beautiful memories ;)
xo TJ

http://www.hislittlelady.com

Unknown said...

Hi! Just got done reading up on your blog and had a quick question. I was hoping that you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks!

Emily : )

Anonymous said...

glad to hear your heart beat again...through words...
Love, Mom

sherri said...

What sweet pondering on reminders in your home. It always neat to connect things to a gospel context. Thanks for your sweet comment girl :)

sherriamour.blogspot.com

Jujube said...

Welcome back to the world of blogging, Memory! I think I remember the time when you left; can't believe it's been a year?! But reading through your recent posts, I can tell many things have occurred. Those are beautiful words, reflecting the truth that there is indeed beauty in the little imperfections.

Katherine said...

Missed you in the blogging world Memory! :)
Hope life has been good to you and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

~Kari
(ps are you on Facebook?)

ElleSee said...

I'm so glad you've opened up your blog again! I missed your beautiful words. So much has changed in your life, and I hope you will share more about that with us.